Tuesday 21 March 2017

LETTER 5: 14th September, 2016... Rebirth

Dear Ma,
39 years back you were the same age as I am today! You gave birth to me on a Wednesday afternoon on this day, though your doctor and family members advised you to go for medical termination! You believed in me and that helped me survive to be born blue with the umbilical cord tangled around my neck! At the risk of your health and life, you entrusted the seven nurses and doctors to deliver me from the chakravyuha in a new world... of life and hope! Thus, you named me 'Abhimanyu' and Bapi 'Tipu' to denote my survivor spirit! At the same time, you broke the stereotypes associated with two tragic heroes! My birth was our first victory together! Ironically, at this juncture, exactly 39 years later, I don't have the honour of being wished by you, spoken to by you, hugged or kissed by you! Today I am born anew!

My celebrations began last evening when Mia and Mim surprised me with a gift hamper and a yummy cake and we Skyped with Bapi and the gang at Hyderabad! They also penned their thoughts in a card that you would have looked at and said 'Bah'! As I cut the cake with an uncontrollable flow of tears and an aching pain in my heart, I knew that you were there, enveloping me with that same love which made you give birth to me! We all remembered you and the tears wouldn't just stop! I wore a new T shirt as you would have surely scolded me otherwise!
You taught me that life is precious and each individual special and hence, celebrating birthdays was a grand tradition in our family! I remember the wonderful birthday parties you organized for me, calling my friends and welcoming them with Chandan Tilak and garlands and serving us yummy, home cooked lunch as we sat on the floor to relish it! I remember the late nights you stayed up baking cakes based on my requests, in a professional manner! I remember you taking me shopping for new clothes and shoes and always commenting that I never asked and hence, you were always happy giving me all that you could! I remember you toiling in the kitchen to serve all the guests restaurant quality home food cooked specially by you! The memories rush in from the distant past only to stir my heart and remind me that you are now a memory!
I learnt from you to make Mim and Mia feel special on their birthdays not by the largeness of the gifts but by the generosity of the heart! I too, began the tradition of baking Mia's birthday cake as per her requests! I learnt so much from you that the line blurs now that how much of me is me and how much of me is you!
We also celebrated the Grandparents' Day at school today, a programme that you always tried to attend for Mia. Today she was sad that she did not have you by her side physically. But she cherished the day remembering you and even made a card for you!
 
Over the last 24 hours, more than 300 people have wished me on Facebook, Whatsapp, through SMSes and phone calls! But the one wish and the one voice I craved to hear was yours. Alas it is the echo that lasts in my heart and no longer in my ears.

As I step into my 40th year, I determine to live by your example of wisdom, courage and compassion! I determine to live with boldness and kindness, and shine and smile ever lastingly like you did! I am born anew!

No comments:

Post a Comment